Weldon W. Bobo from Bedford County, Tennessee established a general store (called Bobo’s Store) 2 miles south of Spring Garden. The main road in town was called Bedford Road.
William Letchworth Hurst migrated to Euless
Elisha Adam Euless (son of Cassandra Bobo) farmed in Bedford.
Writings indicate that there were 100 people living in log houses in Bedford.
Bobo and son began operating a gristmill to supply the community with gin and mill service.
Mail was delivered by horseback to Bobo’s Store each Thursday.
William Letchworth Hurst build a two-story house in Bedford near present day Bedford Road and Airport Freeway.
Elisha Adam Euless was elected Constable to Precinct Three in Tarrant County.
A U.S. Post Office was officially established in Bedford. Bob was the first postmaster.
New Hope Christian Church (later Bedford Church of Christ) was established. The church was located at present day 2401 Bedford Road. The church was established by the families of Bob, Milton Moore, Richard T. Valentine, and Wiley Green Cannon. The church tract included a graveyard that had been in use since the 1850’s (now know as Bedford Cemetery). The cemetery contains the remains of the pioneers in unmarked graves and is marked by a Texas Historical Marker.
Spring Garden School documents indicate 73 students.
Another Bedford school was established by Daniel Glassco. Located at present day 4200 block of Bedford Road.
Bedford’s population was estimated at 1000-2000 people.
Milton Moore family donated land for Bedford College. The painted two-story building distinguished Bedford from other small communities with high quality education. It was a combination high school and community college.
Bedford College burns down.
Rock Island Railroad was built from Oklahoma to Fort Worth. It bypassed Bedford. This led to Bedford’s decline
Bedford School rebuilt.
Bedford Road was upgraded from sand to gravel.
Bedford School claims 97 students.
Bedford had declined to 50 residents, 1 store, and a Post Office.
William R. Fitch (Weldon Bob’s Son in Law) took over Bobo’s General Store.
The wood framed Bedford School was replaced by a two-story brick building at a cost of $5000.00. It was the first use of brick in the community.
The original Fitch’s General Merchandise Store was torn down and replaced at present day 1937 Bedford Road. It became the social center of the village. The store was operation by the Fitch family until 1963.
Ed and Dora Bilger opened a filling station at present day 1944 Bedford road. They operated the store for 51 years).
Ed Bilger built a house next to his garage at a cost of $1739.00. It is the oldest brick house in Bedford.
A paved road from Dallas to Fort Worth as asphalted. Known as State Highway 15 this route (the Hurst route) was chosen over the Bedford route. It is now present day SH 10.
Bedford reported 80 residents.
First Baptist Church in Bedford was sponsored by the Birdville Baptist Church in a building that had been used as a chicken coop.
The first library was opened in the old Fitch house by Evelyn Fitch, Bernice Hardisty, Irene MacManus, Dora Bilger and others.
Bedford School became an 8th grade school.
The Variety Club of Dallas purchased 232-acre tract in Bedford. The built two brick dormitories and a gym. The established the Boys Ranch for troubled boys aged 10 to 14.
City of Hurst incorporated in response to annexation attempts by Fort Worth due to Bell Helicopter Aircraft Corporation’s announcement to build a $3 million helicopter factory off of SH 15.
Hurst and Euless boomed shortly after the Bell Helicopter announcement.
Bell Helicopter opened.
Boys Ranch records indicate 100 boys on site.
The City of Bedford incorporated. In fear of being snatched up by Hurst or Euless the residents elected to incorporate. The population totaled 400 people over a 2 square mile area.
Bedford Volunteer Firefighters organized.
Hurst and Euless school districts merged.
The new L.D. Bell High School was completed on the site of present day Central Junior High.
The Variety Club abandoned the Boys Ranch and churches used the facilities.
Fitch game land for a fire station and civic center.
Bedford joined the Hurst and Euless school district.
3965 students reported in HEB school district.
Bedford census data indicated 2706 people over a 10 square mile area.
The Fort Worth Star Telegram called Bedford, “Happy bedroom suburb town without taxation.”
A $5 million bond for water, sewer, and streets was approved by the City Council and voted down in the bond election.
Bedford elected to change its form of government to Home Rule.
Bedford led the county in percentage of business gained. Went from 22 to 31 businesses.
The voters approved a $4 million bond for water, sewer, and streets.
W.R. Petty (minister of the Church of Christ of Euless) led a petition for Euless to annex Bedford.
The annex petition was voted down. Bedford election results were 975 against annexation and 422 for. Euless election results were 211 for annexation and 133 against.
Spur 350 (Now known as SH 183) was completed from SH 121 to SH 360 at a cost of $4.8 million.
Northeast Mall was opened in Hurst
City revenue numbers indicated the following: Hurst $79 million, Bedford $4 million, and Euless $18 million.
Dallas – Fort Worth Airport opened.
Bedford census results indicated a population of 20,800 residents.
Old Bedford School fire.
Green, George N. Heart of the Metroplex: Hurst, Euless, and Bedford; An Illustrated History. Austin: Eakin Press, 1995. Print.